A community center provides a central location for local citizens and visitors to enjoy high-quality fitness, education, arts and culture, recreation and social opportunities.
Facilities such as the Community Family Life & Recreation Center at Lyon Park serve as year-round central gathering places for community members of all ages and interests. Read on to learn more about the benefits of visiting your local community wellness recreation center.
How does a recreation center affect Durham residents in the West End Community?
The Community Family Life & Recreation Center at Lyon Park provides opportunities for a plethora of positive benefits to community members. Some of these include:
- Keeping children occupied and off the streets
- Increased community awareness
- A “community hub” and a cohesive sense of community where friends and family can meet
- Local residents can enjoy exercise and fitness; learning and education; group participation and multi-generational interaction
What services and facilities are offered?
Offerings at The Community Family Life & Recreation Center at Lyon Park include:
- A basketball court
- An indoor walking track
- An afterschool tutorial program providing reading, math, and homework tutoring for K-6 students
- A computer lab with 15 Windows computers and free internet access
- Activities for the senior living community
- Activities with Durham Parks & Recreation
- Adult education programs
- A primary health clinic
- A mentoring program
To learn more about services that we offer, click here.
How does our community benefit economically from a community center?
We provide resources such as educational services, healthcare and recreational actives, enabling children of all ages a chance to participate in activities and programs.
Our Center also fosters reduction in health problems and educational opportunities and growth.
Visit us today at 1309 Halley Street in Durham to discover more benefits firsthand!